mother dear

Because the kitchen fridge won't hold my stuff anymore.

Friday, January 06, 2006

mother-daughter quilt

Hello!

Just a brief post to put a couple of pictures of the quilt top up. This is our first foray into mother-daughter quilting. We chose the design and fabric together, although I got the final say on colors since it's intended for my guest room. Mom pieced the entire thing (already!!!), and now I'm about to start the quilting. I say "about to" because we're still filling the house with harp sawdust, and the idea of covering this with sawdust is discouraging. Here's the quilt top:

 Posted by Picasa


It's not the greatest lighting, but you can see the idea. Look at all the colors! Note the asymetric placement of colors and the fact that one some stars, there are several points of a slightly different color. Amazingly beautiful, no? The original design showed this quilt made with single-color stars and a solid background, which meant that the lattice was virtually invisible. I greatly prefer it this way! Thanks Mom!

Here's a close-up of one of my favorite stars. I say that, although actually my favorite stars vary every time I look at it. I love these fabrics.

 Posted by Picasa


Next I need to figure out a quilting pattern. I haven't really worked out what I'd like to accent with it. I laid a bunch of thread colors down on the quilt top at home and didn't care for the effect with the lighter colors. I think this is meant to be more contemporary. I picked up a bunch of a rayon quilting thread in dark blue. It's got a nice sheen that I think will be complimentary. I also got some fairly thin quilt batting. I'm cheating though....it's got iron-on sticky stuff on either side, so no hand-basting. I'll have to report on how well that works. It was such a tempting notion.

3 Comments:

  • At 9:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Beth,
    I LOVE the quilt. Your mother did an excellant job and PLEASE do not skip any corners AKA that binding that sticks, because a true quilt is a labor of love. Your the best, Love Aunt Tina

     
  • At 10:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow Beth (and Mom of Beth). That is AMAZING. I just remember when you were discussing the quilt and poof! it magically appears. I think I have now found someone even more crafty speedy than you :)

    Your mom totally rocks. I so would have chatted with her on the phone and pestered her (as I did to my friend's moms) growing up.

    Gorgeous work.

     
  • At 10:58 AM, Blogger Beth said…

    Anita - Yes. Mom rocks. And yes. She's at least 18 times as fast as me.

    Auntie Tina - You make an excellent point. I'll go exchange the batting today!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home